Friday 11 April 2014

Swelling with Emotion


\
I woke up yesterday morning (pictured here) with my ear swollen, warm, throbbing and with a pain radiating down my neck into the spot my glands are located. Instead of going to the doctor like any sane person, I, of course, decide to just wait it out. Listening to my Bestie resulted in me wearing my magic bag about my head for hours. Which seemed to do the trick! Woke up this morning with no throbbing, visible reduction in swelling, no warmth and only slight tenderness in my glands.

But as I go about my day today, and realize my greatest obstacles are my ear and how to make it to Nicole's on time I can't help but think about one of my acquaintances. Today is the day that she mourns the murder of her family. Twenty years ago today, she was in Rwanda living through the mass genocide. We like to think we have come so far as a people, but really, we are still just taking baby steps out of our caves. To think that we, as a people, have lived through a genocide in our lifetime is horrifying. Equally horrifying is the fact that there are still mass genocides happening in our world right now this very moment. Today my thought are with all the people in the world who have suffered, are suffering, are continuing to suffer.

3 comments:

  1. Omg that is awful! The magic bag IS magic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ok you can admit it to me. When something horrible like this happens is there now a tiny part of you that goes "oh cool this will make a great pic of the day"?

    ReplyDelete