Wednesday 22 October 2014

Thoughts and Prayers



Today I watched the news on my computer in horror as a gunman shot and killed a soldier standing guard at Canada's War Memorial and then proceeded to Parliament Hill and was fatally shot himself. For hours the entire downtown core was shut down, including my moms work, with a lockdown as the police tried to ascertain whether he was a lone gunman or if there was a group. It was terrifying, horrifying, and watching the news was worse. I have watched a few devastating news stories in the past while and always felt horrible over what had happened, but it always seemed just a little bit distant from me. From my life. I could empathize with what the people were going through, but it was almost like it was happening in a fictional world far, far away. Watching the fall out from the shootings, seeing the places I walk so often as possible gunman hiding spots, seeing places I had taken my children, it was all hammered home. Yes, Canada is wonderful and awesome and I love it. But we are not exempt from the terrors of the world that stalk freedom every day.

My thoughts and prayers go out to the soldier and his family who was shot and killed and for the family of the gunman. May they rest in peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment